Friday, December 01, 2006

It's snowing. I thought I would be a bit more excited than this, however, since I'm locked in the city today, the big white flakes against the concrete buildings just paint everything with a dull shade of grey. Boring.
So I went to my painting class last night in a foul mood. At least I was able to do two 'abstract' paintings with virtually no effort. They're not good, but I did find that it was nice to just let my mind wander, while my brush moved. I wasn't trying to create any particular mood or feeling or image, so I just let my subconscious bicker away with itself, mulling over this and that, and all the while my brush added shades of black and red to my canvass. It was quite a nice experience, but I grew tired very quickly and packed it in early (as did the rest of the class, I don't think the dreary rainy weather was helping much).
I have to sign up for my next class soon. I just received a new bout of inspriration today when I stumbled across an artist from Texas, Cyr McCurry. (http://www.cynmccurry.com/home.html) Her art is absolutely beautiful, and so realistic. I really have found I enjoy capturing 'real' objects on my canvasses, and I do thank my art teacher Agnes for pushing me to use colour when portraying my first person (from a magazine, but you have to start somewhere). It got me over my fear of doing flesh tones. I still have a ways to go with that painting, but I enjoy it immensely. My next class will be doing nudes, should be interesting (read: daunting).

No comments: