Wednesday, January 30, 2008

So I was browsing the shelves of a nearby bookstore a few weeks ago (it was too cold to walk around outside) and I happened upon a book that some of you (who know me well) would snicker at for sure - it's called 'The Power of Kindess - The Unexpected Benefits of Leading a Compassionate Life'. I will admit that I was partially attracted to it because of the cover, at first, which is a basic white paperback, with a pretty green baby plant sprouting. In January, an image like that can be very inticing indeed. :) However, I also was a bit curious about the subject matter, as I have been known to feel often like I have no time for people, or friendships, or even relationships of any kind, and am often left feeling drained and frustrated when my interactions with others don't go the way I expect them to (which is all the time - people are unpredictable things, afterall)... As a result, I am often totally unfulfilled in life, bored, and perhaps a bit lonely (I do have friends, but they're mostly more like acquaintances and I tend to keep myself very closed off from others, which makes it difficult to form any deep friendships). I also have puzzled over why some people can come off so friendly and open, and instantly attract people to themselves, and EMBRACE that fact, while others (myself included in this category) come off as prickly, pushy, rushed, and basically unreachable; afraid that 'taking on a friendship' will mean having to add phone calls and chasing people around for their time to our already crowded and exhausting schedules. This, despite the fact that we (or I) yearn for more rewarding interactions with people.
So I began to read it. And what a wonderful (but challenging) set of ideas to live by!
So I thought I'd share. Each chapter discusses an element of expressing true kindess, and how that element, coupled with a shift in your life perspective, can open up vast possibilities for you, as well as making you an all-around happier person. Sounds good to me! :) The elements discussed are: Honesty, Warmth, Forgiveness, Contact, Sense of Belonging, Trust, Mindfulness, Empathy, Humility, Patience, Generosity, Respect, Flexibility, Memory, Loyalty, Gratitude, Service and Joy. Each is presented with a very down-to-Earth perspective, enhanced by interesting anecdotes, myths and stories, as told by the author, in a way that you could imagine yourself hearing them spoken by a friend, over a cup of coffee. He presents the ideas, but doesn't force them on you. However, when my mind at first resists some of the behaviours he suggests, he is quick to point out how our very make-up as humans NEEDS this kind of interaction with each other, and without it you become lost, depressed, lonely, unfocussed and ultimately dissatisfied in life, much like I've felt over the last few years..
Anyway, I thought I would maybe share each one (or an idea of it) but I'll throw it into another page (see the Sharing The Power of Kindness link on the right), as I don't want to bore anyone to tears unless they're curious. :)
Other than that, I just checked the forecast for Negril, Jamaica today, and it's a whopping +29!! Sure beats 'flash freezing', freak lightening storms, and high winds, (with rain AND snow) like we're seeing here in Ottawa today. :)
Just a few more weeks to go. :)
S

No comments: