Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Dog Rant

So, my biggest 'want' in life at the moment is a dog. Well I've always wanted a dog, but now that I've been thinking more about it, I think we really could make living with a dog WORK and it would be great for me! I could finally take walks outside in the evenings without being afraid, I could go to dog classes, and meet people, and have a devoted companion to keep me company!

So I went online and started looking for used dog runs, etc. and stumbled across the SADDEST bunch of ads I've seen in a long time.
Pictures of people holding their puppies (who are for sale) up by the front legs, just dangling them in the air, people getting rid of their 10 or 11 year old, sweet-eyed golden lab because they had a baby (and the pic there broke my heart too - it has a b-day hat and some hawaaian lays on, you can tell it was once a truly LOVED dog), people giving away their kid's best friend (the dog who sleeps in Johnny's bed each night) because hubby is too lazy to take allergy medications to stop his sneezing, posts by ignorant jerks who say things like 'we bought a puppy from a mill the other day - it was so sad, the dogs were all in very bad shape. We noticed the one the guy showed us had a gash on its leg, and when we asked about it, he put it back and grabbed another one. We took the one with the gash because we felt sorry for it'... Why the HELL are you buying from a MILL!!!???
For all of you ignorant people out there, please please please educate yourselves: http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/home_page_2.htm
And if you are looking to buy a dog, do not buy from a back-yard breeder - those people posting in the free-ads papers (and online) who claim they have 'champion bloodlines' and 'CKC registered' dogs, may have that, but that doesn't mean they're a reputable breeder. It means they found out their dogs decend from some noteable bloodline somewhere (and many do), and decided to pay the $50 fee to register themselves as a kennel. I know, I did it for my sheltie puppy's former home, so I could show him. The people knew NOTHING about the breed but that they were both shelties.And finally, before you go to the petstore and drop upwards of $1000 on a dog, who probably came from a back-yard breeder and is an epilepsy patient (etc) waiting to happen, go to your local shelter and check out the sweet adult dogs who probably started out the same way, as a cute puppy in a petstore window, loved and then abandoned, or never loved at all. Look into their eyes and make sure you mean it when you promise to keep them forever, or go home and get yourself a video game or some other form of expensive amusement, as this is surely all you're looking for in a pet. At least when you throw THAT into the corner, it won't care.
Okay, I'm done. :)

No comments: