Thursday, February 08, 2007


When I listen to Norah Jones, I think green fields, bumble bees, white cotton sun-dress, old weathered back porch, blues music and iced tea. So now I'm sooo excited because she's coming to Montreal in May!! I have her newest CD and it's just as great as all the ones before it (actually I find each one she puts out is a little better than the last). Honestly, I love all different kinds of music, and many different artists, but Norah is my favorite for relaxing in the evening (I'm sure my neighbours wish it wasn't because I usually feel the need to add a howl or two of my own to her songs). Listening to her takes me out of the city and plops me smack in the middle of the deep south (not that I have a clue what the deep south really is like, but it has to be sweet, slow, romantic country compared to busy concrete boring that is the city). Actually, PEI captured a lot of that feeling too. And Saskatchewan. There's just something so beautiful about those places. Like the grass is greener (isn't it always?), the sky is bigger and bluer (and not obstructed), you can actually SEE the stars at night, and when you sit and daydream on a sunny afternoon, time seems like it stops for a moment. I don't find that here. Maybe it's just because I own an house now and there's always something to do, so sitting and doing nothing is usually rudely interrupted with thoughts of 'oh, crap I have to do that, and that, and I forgot about that...' and within minutes I'm running for a day-planner or a scrap of paper to jot down yet another job list... But also there's usually something around - neighbours, kids, dogs, cars, whatever, that break that 'moment'. I need a country home someday!
Anyway, so yet another thing to look forward to in May. Along with that of course is SPRING!! I noticed yesterday, and today, that you can see it in the sunshine. It's shining a little warmer than before maybe, I don't know, but when I look at it, instead of that pale winter sun that makes me want to hibernate, it's a warm yellow sun that whispers 'go buy a pretty skirt for spring'... and maybe some matching shoes... ;)
I can't wait until we can go home and open the doors and windows and let fresh air flow through the house, and eat out on the back deck, and dig around in the garden in the evenings, and take long walks after dinner with the sun still UP... I'm just making myself full of hope and we have two more months to go before it's really any warmer, but I checked the Farmer's Almanac yesterday and they say that it's supposed to be unseasonably hot and dry this spring with a cooler and dry summer. Sounds good to me! We were discussing too that we may be doing a road-trip with our friends to the East Coast again this summer. I hope so!
Anyway, until then, it's back to the daily grind, and hurrying from one building, through the freezing cold, and into the next. But the green is coming, it's definitely in the sun... :)

No comments: