Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Woohoo - Lowell Greene watch out! I've started a new career/hobby in publishing 'bitch-fests' - check out Saturday's Ottawa Citizen.. ;)

Put a leash on Bowser to protect neighbours
The Ottawa CitizenPublished: Saturday, July 21, 2007
Having recently moved to the suburbs, I've discovered a safety issue when walking the streets of my Aylmer-sector neighbourhood: loose dogs.
In the past week, I have been surprised to see many dogs roaming around, and twice have been confronted by hostile, large breed dogs (a Doberman and a Rottweiler), which tried to attack my puppy while the owners were either inside the house or were not watching their dogs. Why aren't people tying up or restraining their dogs on their property? Not only is there a risk to passersby, but to the dogs themselves.
I urge anyone who owns a dog to enrol it in at least a basic obedience class, and regardless of age, breed or temperment to keep it in a well-fenced yard, tied, or on leash at all times. My dog is treated this way to keep him safe and to prevent any unnecessary accidents.

I resent not feeling safe in my neighbourhood. It is the responsibility of any dog owner to ensure the safety of their animal, and anyone who might come in contact with it. If you can't handle this responsibility, don't own a dog!
Unfortunately, I am seriously considering carrying pepper spray to ward off potential attacks by large dogs. This is unfair to the dog, of course, as it is only acting on instinct to protect its property. But if the owners feel that the risk of vehicular accidents, dog bites, lawsuits, vet bills and even death are worth allowing Bowser to roam the yard, then I see no other option.
Shelley Kerr, Gatineau
© The Ottawa Citizen 2007

No comments: