Thursday, July 12, 2007

Well, the second-last day of my official 'holidays' is upon us, and it still doesn't feel any different than a Sunday. I think there is something to taking two full weeks off and getting out of town for at least part of that, then you're not surrounded with 'things I should be doing instead of sitting here on my butt'. Anyway, Tigger and I went 'exploring' last night and actually ended up down at the marina in Aylmer. I have to say, I've fallen in love with this city already. It's not actually like a 'city' - it's more like a big town, full of big old houses, a pretty marina with sail boats gliding by in the sunset, and a rocky beach where I can take my dog (and once he wasn't afraid of the waves, he happily trotted around in the water, and watched the ducks swim by). I was recovering on a rock from a death-defying moment involving a ginormous Doberman Pinscher (male) who came running up behind me, barking its fool head off and trying to attack my Tigger. (Tigger was barking and skittering backward, thank God he didn't think he could 'take' this dog). Meanwhile, I'm yelling 'NO!! NO!! NO!!' at the Dobe who almost stood as tall as me... The owners finally did come OUT of their house and called him off and I told them to get a leash on their damn dog. Grrrr... It's people like that who totally ruin it for the rest of the world who love dobes and GSDs and pitbulls, etc.
Anyway, so back to Aylmer, it's beautiful - reminds me a lot of PEI actually. And where I was afraid there'd be no 'social' scene, there is MORE - but civilized in a way. I saw one 'night club' but there were also quite a few cute looking pubs and restaurants along the main street, all made from old brick houses. Very pretty indeed, and a big step up from the 'Kiwi Bar' (the shady joint near our old place that I think became a transvestite biker place or something. ;) Anyhow, it took us about an hour longer than it should have to get home because I got lost and we ended up walking home on the highway, but we managed to amuse ourselves with Tim Hortons cups along the way (Tigger has a 'thing' for them apparently). It was good to get out and spend time with him, he makes me laugh.
Though this morning's 'game' wasn't as fun. ;) Luc tried again (unsuccessfully) to put him in his run, so I had to 'demonstrate' how to get him in there, which involved picking his front up and dragging him into it again (once we've done this once or twice, he leaps into the run after that, but we start over every day...) Anyway, I wanted to have a half-hour nap because it was still early and I was feeling tired, but I decided it'd be nice to give him the full back yard where he could lay on the deck in the sun and chew his bone. I gave him some water and food and went back to sleep. Well I didn't get much sleep because he threw his food dish again (he's still not eating), then I heard some 'funny' noises. I finally got up to see what he was up to, thinking he was perhaps trying to flip his water dish or maybe had run out of water. Nope, he had the hose (which we had talked about yesterday - how it was such a nice expensive, good quality hose with a loooong reach and we were so glad the last owner in our old house had left it for us), and he was shaking it in his jaws like a snake. I freaked and came flying down the stairs, yelled 'NO!' and, terrified, hooked it up and turned on the water. Thank GAWD, he didn't puncture it. So he's back in his run with some toys until I can be out there to supervise him. Friggin pest sometimes - at least he's not 'quite' a child but just about as bad!
My friend and I were talking yesterday about how, unlike with a cat, whom you can ignore most of the day, a dog requires constant monitoring. If they're making a weird noise, they're probably doing something they shouldn't be. If they're being too quiet, they're still probably doing something they shouldn't be. And they get BORED and have to invent new ways to get attention (which so far has involved chewing things we shouldn't, pounding on the back door, and barking and whining) where a cat would just go to sleep. Anyway, at least I haven't panicked totally yet - I'm still eating! ;)

Well, gotta run - I want to paint the kitchen to get ready for our new appliances - fun!
xo

No comments: